See the spectacular mountain vistas of Arthur’s Pass National Park and immerse yourself in New Zealand’s high country scenery on this journey through the South Island. You’ll discover breathtaking mountain landscapes and alpine forests on personal, up close encounters most people never get to witness.
Your day begins with a hotel pick up that takes you to the train station for boarding on the famous TranzAlpine train, rated one of the top six train journeys in the world. This scenic rail experience takes you westward across the rich agricultural belt of the Canterbury Plains, river canyons, tunnels and viaducts to the grand mountains of the Southern Alps and Arthur’s Pass.
At Arthur’s Pass village you will meet your guide, a friendly and professional tour leader who will give you profound insight into each stop of the day. You will have the opportunity to:
– View the pristine Waimakariri River and its unique braided river system
– Explore the alpine forest, crystal rivers and mountain vistas on short walks through Arthur’s Pass National Park
– Enjoy lunch at a historic high country hotel
– Follow the old stage coach route and view the spectacular Otira Gorge, a testament to the road builders of the 1860’s and the route taken by the Maori in their quest for greenstone
– Visit Cave Stream, where underground limestone cliffs, gorges and craggy outcrops await to be discovered. This area was also used for the filming of C.S. Lewis’s – “The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe”
– Visit the incredible Castle Hill rocks, unique rock formations and sacred landmarks to the Maori
Your journey ends with a deluxe mini van trip back to Christchurch, traveling via sub-alpine Porter’s Pass and the Canterbury Plains.