Enjoy a guided tour cruise along Otago Peninsula, see indigenous wildlife, experience a visit to Larnach Castle, and get an up-close view of the rare Yellow Eyed Penguins.
You will see the magnificent carved ceilings, antiques, and painstakingly restored original features of Larnach Castle. Hear the scandalous and tragic history of the original owner, William Larnach and climb the spiral staircase to the rooftop tower for stunning 360-degree views of the Otago Peninsula. Take a short walk around the beautiful gardens, recognized to be of international significance, before heading off on your exciting wildlife cruise.
The boat will travel around Taiaroa Head, home of the world’s only mainland nesting place of royal albatross. Watch as these huge birds glide in from the ocean and soar high above their hillside nests. You’ll cruise beneath a historic lighthouse, perched high above volcanic cliffs. Watch as fur seals play and swim near their breeding colonies below. Then it’s a short way out to sea where you will spot other species of albatross, cormorants, petrels and other rarely seen ocean birds. Occasionally you might spot blue penguins, dusky or hectors dolphins, or a large sea lion.
After redocking, a short bus ride over the farm takes small groups to the Penguin Place Conservation Reserve. Here your guide will lead you on foot through native bush and unique covered trenches to viewing hides. These hides allow close viewing and photography of birds returning ashore and around the nesting sites of this shy penguin. This is a great opportunity to see these rare birds in the wild (viewing is varied depending on the time of year).
The day concludes with a relaxed drive back to the city where you will be dropped off at your accommodation.
April 1st – September 30th: Departs 11:30am, Returns 6:00pm (approx.)
October 1st – March 31st: Departs 10:30am, Returns 5:30pm (approx.)
Tour does not operate on Christmas and New Year’s Day
– Tour of Larnach Castle
– Wildlife cruise
– Guided tour of Penguin Place Conservation Reserve
– Pickup and drop off at accommodation
Need to Know
– Tours have limited availability. Please book early to avoid missing any requested dates
– Please pack a lunch and snacks
– Please bring a water bottle, sunscreen, hat, and sunglasses
– Please wear weather appropriate clothing (lighter clothing in the summer months and heavier clothing in the winter months)
– It is recommended that participants have at least a medium level of fitness
– Tour may be changed or cancelled due to weather or any unforeseen circumstances